Let go of the things I love in order to attain the things I dream of.

“We accept the verdict of the past until the need for change cries out loudly enough to force upon us a choice between the comforts of further inertia and the irksomeness of action.” - Judge Learned Hand

Change is a scary thing. Sometimes we want things to remain the same because we see life as being safe, secure. However, we sometimes look towards change in order for life to evolve into greater things, and in doing so we realize the risks of losing those that are safe to us. The safe things that I am referring to are the objects in our lives that we feel will constantly be there and will forever remain as our rock and our defence. Consequently, it is in the pursuit of greater ambitions where we sometimes need to drop our guard and take the offensive and in doing so we lose that rock and support. Many individuals feel that in the present time of their life, it is perfect, that there is no need to change. The idea of overcoming obstacles and the need to change one’s way of life seems foolish and undesirable. However, we all have this whisper and a certain aspiration in need to evolve that we hear within us. It is a whisper that voices us to have a new start, even if we are satisfied with the way things are currently, it is a voice that leads us toward the next phase of life.

Personally, I feel as if I have forever been caged in this tight knit safe world that has been created for me by those who are important to me, and in doing so I have stayed frozen in time. The worst thing that I have come to realize in life is for a person to become “comfortable.” Comfortable is place where one is lazy and where one is tired and most of all, where one is safe. I have been comfortable for most of my life and I have just come to realize that. Therefore I propose for change. I remember one time when I was walking home with two of my friends last year in the dead of winter, and as we were walking a homeless man approached us asking for change. As I reached into my pockets looking for change, my friend without even thinking hands him a $20 bill. As I saw this I was awestruck, I was completely shocked because I couldn’t believe the hospitality of my friend. As a student I realize that we are not rich, and that $20 is a lot of money, therefore I couldn’t believe what I saw. As I was standing there, my other friend takes off his own gloves and asks him if his hands are cold, at this time the homeless man who was probably as shocked as I was quickly declined the offer and walked away. I mean this was insane, without a doubt in mind my friend offered $20 without even the slightest hint of hesitation. I am not saying that we should all be inclined to go around town offering $20 to homeless people, however, what I am saying is that in that moment of time, I realized who I was and who I could be. I saw the difference and it frightened me. I saw my life as it was presently, the ignorance, the laziness, the foolishness. I saw my priorities and my values as being so childish and so basic. Before we encountered that homeless man, I was satisfied for the most part with who I was, I was comfortable and even proud of myself. Yet, after this occurred I couldn’t believe who I was. It wasn’t so much that I began to hate myself, but rather I saw an image of who I could be. I saw the life of another that seemed so much more than mine. His generosity, his complete way of life seemed so more evolved. I mean I was standing there proud because I was going to give him $2 yet I saw the sacrifice and the values of this individual and I felt ashamed. Therefore I propose for change.

I mean, I’m still not really sure what it takes to change, but I guess I have come to the understanding that in order to grasp new things, we need to let go of some of the old. Therefore I hope that I have enough strength to let go of the things I love in order to attain the things I dream of.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Write more stuff..
Change takes time and sometimes you might not notice it.......Just be urself K

Anonymous said...

YO WTF! LIES
I remember you! pulled 5 bucks from MY WALLET and gave it to the homeless.... when you had 20 in yours!

-Hymen

derek said...

YO I GAVE HIM MONEY

Anonymous said...

LOL no you didn't! You pulled 10 bucks from my wallet and gave it to him, and said... "yo lets give him 5 bucks each!" Then... you never paid me back! Typical Derek =) Therefore it was ME who donated 10 bucks to the homeless.

-Hymen

derek said...

YO stop reading my blog. And making up lies. LIES!!!